Treating Hollowness Under Eyes
Hollow, sunken eyes can be caused by hereditary factors or the same age-related volume loss or “deflation” that leads to other eye wrinkles.
Dermal fillers are a natural choice for restoring volume to many parts of the face, and hollow eyes are no exception. Any filler will add volume under the eyes, but it’s important to select the best option. The specific dermal filler for your under eye hollows depends on your facial anatomy, but typically Restylane and Voluma commonly provide great results for this specific procedure.
Things To Be Aware Of
Treating the hollowness under the eyes requires a great deal of skill in the doctor. With proper expertise patients achieve excellent results.
There are a few reasons why a hollow eye treatment would result in less than a 100% success:
- The skin on the lower eyelid is usually quite thin and sits directly over the bone. For that reason, the filler is easily detectable if it placed incorrectly.
- Lower eyelids swell very easily. Hyaluronic Acid fillers tend to attract fluid which can accentuate issues with swelling (especially if you have ocular allergies, or your eyes swell a lot in the morning).
- Some patients have hollow areas under their eyes, but also have areas of excess fat. Fillers will help the hollows and mask the excess fat, but not if there is really too much fat.
- They are reversible. No matter how talented the cosmetic surgeon, there are times when adjustments need to be made after the treatment. Restylane and Voluma can both easily be dissolved with an injection of Hyaluronidase, so adjustments are easy.
- Restylane and Voluma are better than Juvederm XC (for under the eyes) because they tend to swell less.
The most important step is to see an experienced cosmetic surgeon who will help you decide if this treatment is right for you. Here at the offices of Drs. Cohen and Swartz, we approach all treatments in the same way, starting with a consultation to work with you to identify a unique treatment that works best for your situation.
If you’re ready for a consultation, you can schedule here.